Headache is a most common pain experienced worldwide and seen in all ages. It causes pain on one side or both sides of the head and patient may experience considerable discomfort but rarely results in a serious condition or illness.
Headache is the most common cause of missing school or work across the world.
Headache may last for less than an hour to few days. Most headaches get better without any treatment.
The evolution of headache is critical, sudden onset headache increasing rapidly, should be taken seriously and assessed in the hospital.
Headaches may develop due to
- Primary cause
- Secondary cause
Most patients with headaches visiting the clinic or emergencies have primary syndrome.
Primary cause headache is of various types such as
- Migraines - in which patient complain of pain in half of the head (either right or left)
- Tension-type headache - affects both sides of the head (bilaterally)
- Cluster headache - which causes extreme intense pain
- Sinus headache - sensation of pressure and heaviness is felt on the face and head
Secondary causes of headache
- Medication overuse headache
- Any intra-brain bleeding
- Brain tumor
- Any space occupying lesion
RED FLAG symptoms in Headache
- Sudden onset within minutes
- Other symptoms such as fits, unconsciousness, dizziness
- Symptoms such as weight loss, malaise, fever, rash